I made this cake after my friend Evi kindly gave me fresh peaches from her garden.
This cake became a bit of a running joke because when she gave me the bag of peaches, we were in the park watching our puppies stretch their legs… and they both ended up peeing on the bag! Thankfully the peaches inside were fine (… I think) and the cake turned out delicious!
This was a good learning experience, because it taught me what happens when you properly wash your fruit and veg (as in, beyond splashing them with water). Washing your fruits and veg with a mix of water + an acidic liquid (such as lemon juice or vinegar), or with a specialised solution (like Ecodoo’s Fruit & Vegetable Cleaner) ensures that all the crap that ends up on your food (think pesticides, insects, bacterias etc.) gets gone, going, gone.
I was shocked at the colour of the water after washing them with water+lemon juice… and a little concerned that this all ended up in our plates before!
▪ Type: Vegetarian
▪ Approx. Preparation time: 20 mins
▪ Approx. Baking time: 20 mins
▪ Approx. Resting/cooling time: 30 mins
▪ Serves: 4
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 200g peaches
- 175g condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tea bags of Early Grey tea
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Wash the peaches (using one of the tips mentioned above!).
- Take two peaches and cut them in small cubes. Set aside for later.
- Cut the remainder of the peaches in equal size thinnish slices. Set aside for later.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees celsius.
- Heat the almond milk in a small pan. When the milk starts to simmer, take off the heat and pop in the tea bags, the vanilla extract and the peach cubes. Cover with a lid and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, ground almonds, bicarbonate soda and baking powder.
- Add in the butter and mix well. Then add the condensed milk and mix well.
- Pour in the Earl Grey infused almond milk, along with the peach cubes and combine until the mixture if homogeneous.
- Grease a cake tin and pour the mixture into the tin. Place the slices of peach on the top, making a nice-looking pattern.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown and baked inside.
- Leave to cool before serving.