When I set off to bake the day I made this cake, I really wanted to make a pear or an apple cake. That was until I realised I had no pears or apples at home! What I did have in the fridge were carrots, and so this cake came to be!
It takes a rather long time to cook, especially if you’re using a smaller baking dish and make a thick cake, so do make sure you have the time (and patience) to leave it in the oven for a while!
▪ Type: Vegetarian
▪ Approx. Preparation time: 15 mins
▪ Approx. Baking time: 60 mins
▪ Approx. Resting/cooling time: 20 mins
▪ Serves: 6
- 5 carrots
- 400g caramel flavoured condensed milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat the oven at 170 degrees celsius.
- Peel the carrots and discard the peel. With your peel, peel off 6 long strands of carrot and keep aside to decorate. Grate the remainder of the carrots.
- Blend the condensed milk with the grated carrots. This step can be optional if you don’t have a mixer or blender, but will make the texture of the cake much smoother if you are able to do it.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the butter and mix well until there are no chunks of butter left.
- Add the condensed milk and carrot mixture and combine well.
- Grease a baking dish and pour the mixture in.
- Roll the carrot strands you have set aside and pop into the top of the cake to decorate
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the cake is cooked through (i.e. if you spike it with a knife and the blade comes out clean).
- Leave to cool down before serving.