Growing up I used to love this marble cake, so much so that I went through a phase where I bought one every week!
After I moved out of France, I sort of forgot about it, and only remembered when I thought of making a chocolate and vanilla cake, and my childhood favourite came back to my mind! I wondered whether I could replicate it… When I cut the cake and saw the marbling inside, I was so pleased I did a little dance!
▪ Type: Vegetarian
▪ Approx. Preparation time: 20 mins
▪ Approx. Baking time: 40 mins
▪ Approx. Resting/cooling time: 20 mins
▪ Serves: 6
- 400g condensed milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 90g dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven at 170 degrees celsius
- Take out two mixing bowls and place half of the flour and half of the butter in each bowl. Mix the butter in each bowl till well combined.
- Add half the condensed milk in each bowl and mix well.
- In one bowl add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Melt the dark chocolate using the method of your choice (in the microwave or using the bain-marie method) and add it to the second bowl. Mix well.
- Grease a loaf dish and pour half of the chocolate mixture in the dish, then cover with all of the vanilla mixture. Finally cover with the second half of the chocolate mixture.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the cake if cooked through.
- Leave to cool down before serving.
- Optional – if you see marble layers when you cut the cake, do a little happy dance!