This cake is the ultimate coffee break delight. It’s nice and sweet and soft and moorish – all in all, extremely hard to resist!
It’s so simple to make and has few ingredients. Simply ensure you cater for the baking time (40 minutes) – the mix is rather wet so it will take some time to fully bake through.
▪ Type: Vegetarian
▪ Approx. Preparation time: 10 mins
▪ Approx. Baking time: 40 mins
▪ Serves: 4
- 1 cup self-raising white flour
- 1 small can (390g) of caramel-flavoured condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter (plus a little to grease the baking dish)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- pre-heat the oven at 170 degrees Celsius.
- Add the flour, condensed milk and butter in a mixing bowl. Mix until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the instant coffee and stir into the mix so that it is homogeneously combined.
- Grease a cake tin thoroughly (you can be generous with the greasing, as the caramel will make the cake a little sticky)
- Pop the mix into the cake tin and cook for 40 minutes, or until the cake is baked through.
- Important: Keep a particularly close eye on the cake after 30 minutes – because of the caramel and coffee, the cake surface will look naturally brown which can be deceptive, so be vigilant to ensure it is neither raw in the middle or burnt on the edges.
- Allow to cool down for 5-10 minutes before taking out of the tin.