This is one combination which sounds like it shouldn’t work – but once in the plate it absolutely does!
Make sure to cater for cooling time as having all ingredients properly chilled will make the whole difference at serving time.
For this recipe, also make sure you invest in good quality olive oil and a nicely ripe mango – these will make this dish the tastiest it can be!
▪ Type: Vegetarian (can be made vegan if using vegan yogurt)
▪ Approx. Preparation time: 10 mins
▪ Approx. Cooking time: 20 mins
▪ Approx. Cooling time: at least 30 mins
▪ Approx. Assembly time: 5 mins
▪ Serves: 2
- Half a Cucumber
- 2 Spring onions
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 small Ripe Mango
- 1 Handful of fresh Basil (plus a couple of leaves to decorate)
- 1 small Handful walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of Greek Yogurt
- Juice of half a lime
- 5 tablespoons of Olive oil
- Half a teaspoon ground Paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop the cucumber and spring onions in small, thin pieces. Set aside together in a bowl and into the fridge.
- Peel and chop the mango in small cubes. Set aside in another bowl and also into the fridge.
- Wash the basil leaves (keeping a couple aside to decorate at the time of serving)
- Boil a pan of water, add a pinch of salt and the quinoa. Cook for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked.
- In a blender, put together the basil, the walnuts, the lime juice, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as needed. Pop into a bowl and in the fridge to chill.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, sieve through and set aside to cool. Once the quinoa has cooled down, add the yogurt and a pinch of salt and pop into the fridge to chill.
- Keep everything into the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or until serving time. The dish gives a really fresh combination that comes out even better when all ingredients are properly chilled.
- 5 minutes before serving, add salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil to the cucumber and spring onion mix.
- At serving time:
- Place the quinoa at the bottom of the plate.
- Top with the cucumber and spring onion mix and with some fresh mango, making as artistic a mess as you can!
- Drizzle the pesto mix all over in small dots all over the plate and top with a fresh basil leaf.
- Serve chilled!