This recipe is one of those which started as a vague idea in my head and turned out to be something completely different once on the plate!
It all worked out well in the end, and this made for a tasty little number at dinner!
▪ Type: Vegan
▪ Approx. Preparation time: 10 mins
▪ Approx. Cooking & Assembly time: 20 mins
▪ Serves: 2
- One courgette
- 100g of glass noodles
- One big scallion shallot
- Two spring onions
- one small Handful of fresh Greek basil leaves
- Two teaspoons of Chaat masala
- Half teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- two tablespoons of sunflower oil
- Peel the courgette, taking care to keep the skin in long strips and keep the skin aside
- Cut the peeled courgette into small cubes
- Heat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius
- Place the courgette skin strips on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper – set aside
- Cut the shallot in medium sized chunks, and the spring onions in long, thin strips – set aside
- Wash the Greek basil and chop in rough pieces – set aside to use right at the end
- Pop the tray with the courgette skin strips in the oven for 7 to 10 mins or till the strips are just crispy – but not burnt. Once they are cooked, take the tray out of the oven and set aside to cool down
- Boil some water in a small pan. When the water is boiling add the glass noodles and boil for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes have passed, add the turmeric to the water and boil for an additional one minute – the water will turn a reddish colour. Sieve through and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a wok on high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the shallots and sauté until they are soft and brown.
- Add courgettes and the chaat masala and mix well. Cook until the courgettes are cooked through and soft.
- Add the spring onions and stir for a minute.
- Add the glass noodles and mix well – at this stage you may need to add a touch of oil to prevent noodles from sticking to pan.
- Stir fry for a couple of minutes then take off the heat, stir in Greek basil leaves and cover with a lid – leave to rest for five minutes before serving.
- Decorate with courgette crisps at serving time and serve hot!