This salad is fresh and colourful, absolutely perfect for a summer meal!
With all its crunchy ingredients and surprise crispy chickpeas, this dish just packs a punch. Serve it as a main for a light meal or as a side.
- Type: Vegan
- Approx. Preparation time: 10 mins
- Approx. Cooking time: 10 mins
- Serves: 4
- 1 small baby gem lettuce
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 endive
- 1 turnip, peeled
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil (or alternatively sunflower or rapeseed oil)
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 2 teaspoons Chaat Masala (or alternatively a mix of: 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/4 paprika, 1/4 turmeric, 1 pinch of salt, 1 pinch pepper)
- Salt, Pepper
- Remove the core of the endive (by carving its bottom with a knife, for lack of a better description). The core tends to be slightly bitter.
- Chop the lettuce, carrots, peppers, endive and turnip into small pieces – aim to keep all ingredients approximately the same size so that the mix is as homogeneous as possible
- Finely chop the mint
- Mix all the chopped vegetables and the mint in a big salad bowl.
- Discard the liquid from the can of chickpeas and rinse the chickpeas under cold water.
- Put the mustard oil in a pan on high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chickpeas to the pan and sprinkle with the chaat masala (or the spice mix of your choice). Keep mixing to prevent the chickpeas from burning.
- Keep the chickpeas on the heat for 5 minutes, or until the chickpeas are crispy on the outside. Then take off the heat and keep aside to cool.
- Add the chickpeas to the mixing bowl and top with the hummus.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and mix thoroughly so that all items are covered in hummus.
- Serve right away!