This couscous salad is a great lunch item, full of delicious, healthy goodness!
As always, this dish is full of options. The ingredients in this recipe are merely a suggestion, you add ingredients you like, or replace ingredients you’re not keen on, or modify the proportions to make it custom to your taste.
Type: Vegetarian (to make this salad vegan, either skip the halloumi or replace with any vegan cheese)
Approx. Preparation time: 10 mins
Approx. Cooking time: 10 mins
- 250g Halloumi
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- Half a red onion
- Half a cucumber
- 1 handful fresh Coriander
- 1 tablespoon houmous
- 1 cup couscous (you can use flavoured couscous or plain one)
- 150g pitted black olives
- 150g sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional – juice from half a lime
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in halves or in quarters (the size of the pieces depends on the variety of tomatoes you use, some are smaller than others). Add the tomatoes to a large serving bowl.
- Chop the cucumber, unpeeled, into small pieces. Add to the serving bowl.
- Finely dice the red onion. Add to the serving bowl.
- Roughly chop the coriander and add to the serving bowl.
- Sieve the black olives and the sweetcorn and add to the serving bowl
- Put the couscous into a small bowl. Boil one cup of water and add it to the couscous. Mix well and cover. Pop into the microwave for 2 minutes and leave the rest, still covered, for a couple of minutes. Stir the couscous with a fork and add to the serving bowl.
- Cut the halloumi into medium size pieces. Heat a teaspoon of oil into a pan. When the oil is hot, add the halloumi pieces to the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the halloumi is soft and brown on the outside. Add to the serving bowl.
- Add the houmous to the serving bowl. Add salt and pepper and mix thoroughly until everything is well combined and all ingredients are equally coated with houmous.
- Optional – squeeze the juice from half a lime of the salad before serving