These fajitas are a real party all-timer and, best of all, they’re one of the fastest and most simple dishes to make!
Halloumi is such an exciting ingredient, it gives the plate a nicely lavish touch. If you want to keep this on the lighter side however, you can skip the halloumi altogether.
You can go crazy with the fajita ingredients and the serving sides: replace yogurt with Tzatziki, add some black olives and sweetcorn to the veggie mix, chop some lettuce to sprinkle on top of the veggies when folding the fajitas… There is simply SO MUCH you can do to make this plate of food as enticing as you want!
For anyone who’s a fajita-folding novice, here’s how to assemble a fajita:
- Place the wrap on a plate
- Spread some houmous at the centre of the wrap, leave some wrap free at the bottom and on both sides for folding
- Put some veggie and halloumi mix on top of the houmous, top with a spoonful of tomato-onion-coriander salsa, then a couple of teaspoons of yogurt and finally sprinkle with cornichons
- Fold the bottom part of the wrap upwards… then the right part of the wrap inwards… then the left part of the wrap inwards.
- …That’s it!
Approx. Preparation time: 10 mins
Approx. Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1 courgette
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 250g halloumi cheese
- 2 medium size tomatoes
- Half a red onion
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- 5 tablespoons greek style yogurt
- 3 tablespoon houmous
- 1 handful cornichons or regular pickles
- 4 wraps (based on 2 per person, you can serve more if you want!)
- 2 teaspoons fajita spice mix (alternatively mix together a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, half a teaspoon ground turmeric, a teaspoon paprika, a teaspoon coriander powder)
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil, for cooking
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop the courgette into medium-size sticks
- Chop the pepper into long sticks
- Cut the halloumi into medium-size sticks
- Dice the tomato into small cubes
- Finely chop the red onion
- Roughly chop the coriander
- Put the tomato , onion and coriander into a bowl. Add salt and pepper, to taste and mix well. Set this tomato-onion-coriander salsa aside.
- Slice the cornichons length-wise and set aside
- Heat the sunflower oil into a wok or large non-stick pan on high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the courgette and pepper into the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked al-dente (i.e. done, but with a bit of a crunch), stirring regularly to prevent burning.
- Add the halloumi and stir well.
- Add the fajita spices and mix well so it is spread evenly across the veggies and halloumi.
- Cook for 2 more minutes, or until the halloumi is soft. Take off the heat.
- Heat a flat pan on high heat. When the pan is hot, place the wrap on the pan and heat for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Serve the wrap and the veggies hot, on the size of houmous, the tomato-onion-coriander salsa, cornichons and yogurt.