Cooking needs not be complex. It does not always need a million preparation steps and an additional hundred cooking steps.
More often than not, cooking can be made simple and quick, tasty and nutritious, all at the same time! I actually love playing with an ingredient’s natural flavour, to remind myself what that ingredient actually tastes like when there is no interference from too many extra spices, food items or cooking methods.
This dish is so straightforward to make, one could almost prepare it with their eyes closed (though, as a disclaimer, I do have to say that it is always recommended to keep the eyes open at all times when cooking!)
Approx. Preparation time: 5 mins
Approx. Cooking time: 10 mins
- Two medium size aubergines
- Two handfuls of fresh spinach
- One Teaspoon of coriander powder
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Salt, to taste
- One Pinch of Sumac, to sprinkle
- 3 Tablespoons of water
- Chop the aubergines in small cubes
- Heat the olive oil in a wok or non-stick pan
- When the oil is hot, add the aubergine cubes
- Add two tablespoons of water and cook for 5 to 7 mins, stirring regularly
- When the aubergine is cooked and soft, add one more tablespoon of water and the teaspoon of coriander powder. Mix well and cook for a minute
- At this time stage, switch off heat but keep the wok on the cooker.
- Add two handfuls of spinach to the wok and stir well
- Cover with a lid and leave to sit for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle with a pinch of sumac before serving