If you’re in the mood for a nutritious and healthy dish, look no further! I’m at a lost to identify the one best thing about this dish.
Is it that it is cooked entirely without oil or greasing agent?
Or is the best thing about it the fact that it’s so rich in healthy veggies?
Or maybe it’s the protein-packed tofu?
Or rather, it’s all of the above combined with how TASTY it is!
I always use a specific brand of curry spices – Golden Curry Sauce Mix – because it’s vegan and has a great taste, but of course you can use different spices or curry cubes if you have your own favourite!
Approx. Preparation time: 10 mins
Approx. Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 2 to 3 people
- 1 Red onion
- 1 aubergine
- 1 Courgette
- 1 Handful baby corn
- 10 Broccoli florets
- 350g unflavoured Tofu
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 3 portions / slabs of curry sauce mix (the packet is divided in 5 portions)
- Peel the red onion, and remove the first layer surrounding the onion. This top layer tends to be the stronger, most bitter layer
- Cut the onion in quarters and separate the onion layers one from another
- Cut the courgette and aubergine in big chunks
- Cut broccoli florets in big chunks
- Cut the baby corn in medium chunks
- Cut the tofu in medium size squares
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in warm water and leave to soak – you will noticed that initially the water will come out slightly white. Your rice is fully rinsed when the water comes out clear
- Optional – you can stir-fry the tofu and onions in a pan for a few minutes, before adding it to the wok in the cooking steps below. This will make the tofu hold better when cooking, but it forces you to add some sort of greasing agent to cook it, which I always aim to avoid
- Boil 750ml of water in a kettle or a large pan
- Pour the just-boiled water in a big wok or non stick pan and put on high heat
- Put the 3 portions of golden curry sauce mix in the water in the wok and bring to the boil, mixing intermittently to fully dissolve the sauce mix
- When the water is boiling again, tip all of the veggies and the tofu in the wok at once and mix well
- Add a small teaspoon of salt will bring out the savoury-ness of the dish – it may feel like a lot but remember how much water and veg the wok contains!
- Cover the wok, keeping it on high heat, and bring to the boil again
- When the water is boiling, reduce the heat and leave to simmer
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly al dente (over cooking your veggies will turn them into mash, which isn’t the goal here)
- Cook the rice – following the instructions on the packet you are using
- Serve hot!