I once had the combination of cucumber and fennel in a restaurant, and I loved how the two tasted together. The match is so fresh, it’s a great salad for a warm sunny day! (or a winter day when you’re trying to pretend like it’s summertime)
I experimented a bit with what to add, and found that the mint and rose petals gives it a nice mediterranean touch.
The shallots marinated in olive oil brings a little kick, if shallots aren’t your thing you can remove them altogether and simple dress with some nice olive oil.
Approx. Preparation time: 5 mins
Approx. Assembling time: 2 mins
- Half a cucumber, unpeeled
- Half a medium size fennel
- A small handful of mint leaves, roughly shredded
- One medium size medallion shallot
- One pinch of sumac
- Optional – one pinch of edible rose petals (to decorate)
- Cut the shallot in thin half moon slices. Sprinkle them with a generous pinch of salt and drizzle of olive oil. Mix well and leave aside. This will be added to the bowl at the time of serving.
- Cut the cucumber in thing circular slices
- Cut the fennel in thin long streaks
- Add the cucumber and fennel in a large serving bowl
- Add the roughly shredded mint to the bowl and mix
- At the time of serving, add the marinated shallots and mix well.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of sumac and the rose petals