This turmeric tea, or Haldi Chai, recipe comes straight from my Indian mother-in-law’s kitchen. It truly is like a cuddle for the body! As the name does not suggest, it actually contains no tea.
This hot drink is not only tasty, it is also packed with super-ingredients:
- Turmeric is great for joint health and boosts the immune system.
- Lemon is great for many a thing – infections, fever and indigestion to name but a few.
- Honey is amazing if you have a bit of a sore throat.
- The black pepper gives it the kick you need if you’re feeling under the weather.
Make this drink if you need your digestive system to work hard, if you’ve caught a cold or if you’re in the mood for a warming snooze-inducing beverage.
Approx. Preparation time: 5 mins
Approx. Cooking time: 5 mins
- One lemon or lime
- Fresh turmeric (alternatively you can use two teaspoons of turmeric powder)
- Fresh ginger
- Two punches of black pepper
- Two teaspoons of honey
- Turmeric is a natural colouring agent, so if you have white kitchen tops, you may want to protect them by following the preparation steps over a tray. The colouring on your fingers will fade as you keep washing your hands.
- Juice the lemon and set the juice aside
- Peel and grate the fresh turmeric
- Peel and grate the fresh ginger
- Put two and a half cups of water in a small pan and put on high heat
- Put the entire grated turmeric (bits and juice) into the pan. Bring to the boil, then switch to a lower heat and leave to simmer.
- With your bare hands (yes, you read that right!) grab the grated gingers and press the bits to extract the juice. Keep the juice aside, and pop the bits into the pan with the turmeric.
- Leave the turmeric and ginger mixture to simmer for 4-5 minutes. The liquid will turn a reddish golden colour as it cooks.
- On the side, prepare two cups. Divide the ginger juice and lemon juice equally in each cup. Top with a pinch of black pepper, and add a teaspoon of honey in each cup.
- Take the pan off the heat and sieve the mixture equally into each cup. The liquid will turn a bright yellow once in the cup.
- Serve and drink hot! You can adjust the ratio of each ingredient to suit your taste.